Tuesday, April 1, 2014

How interesting….

Exhibit 1

While I was eating supper last night, I was looking at the dressings I had placed on the table.  I have always purchased light or low fat dressings. The lower the calories, the better. Right?! While I was looking at the back of the bottles I was surprised to see the difference in the two…

Take exhibit 1, the bottle on the left is the Light Ranch.  
It has 70 calories.  Not bad for 2 Tbsp.  
It only has 4.5 grams of fat
It has 10 mg of cholesterol
370 mg of sodium!
7 carbs
It has 28 sugar calories
(total carbs X 4)

bottle on the right is Regular fat, Blue Cheese
It has 120 calories… 
the old me would be freaking out because calories are ALL THAT MATTER? RIGHT?! Isn't that what we've been lead to believe? 
It has 12 grams of fat.  
It has 0 cholesterol 
250 mg of sodium
1 carb
It has 4 sugar calories

Now… again, if all you are looking at it calories, clearly you would choose the dressing on the left.  However, you might be sacrificing your health… I guess I'm not going to try to pretend that I actually know anything about Cholesterol and Sodium, but there is a lot more of that crap in the light (supposedly more healthy) dressing.  Than we all know carbs and sugar are the culprit to weight gain, so in comparing the two… there is a clear winner here.  I think my days of "low-fat" and "light" might be over!

The other day I found a great article about the truth behind the dreaded "fat" in our food!  It's totally worth a read!


1 comment:

  1. I really believe that low-fat and light are not as good as we were once led to believe. Thanks for the eye opener Holle!!

    ReplyDelete