Saturday, May 3, 2014

Drinking on a low carb diet…

Finding a drink that isn't going to ruin your diet can be tricky!  If you're a beer fan (like me primarily) here is a list of beers and their sugar calories (total carbs X 4).

Blue Moon (personal fav!): 12.5 carbs = 50 sugar calories.  YIKES!
Bud Light: 6.6 carbs = 26.4 sugar calories
Coors Light (another fav of mine): 5 carbs =  20 sugar calories
Michelob Ultra: 2.6 carbs = 10.4 sugar calories

As is evident by the numbers, drinking beer on a low carb diet isn't necessarily the best option.  I suppose in reality the best option would be to drink no alcohol but lets face it… I like to partake in a beverage every now and then too much to give it up… even for optimal health!

I have found a substitute drink that doesn't ruin my diet and it still taste good!  Vodka Waters! Yes, you read that right.  Vodka, mixed with water.  Sounds horrific and it is nasty on its own, but mix it some Crystal Light and you've got yourself a carb free drink!  Low calories too…


There are a ton of different liquid Crystal Lights out there now-a-days and most of them taste pretty good.  I throw one in my purse prior to going out and I am set.  The nice thing is I can adjust the amount of syrup that I put it, so I can make it stronger or weaker with just a squeeze of the bottle! 


My favorite are the Black Cheery Lemonade and the Blueberry Raspberry flavors.    My only piece of advice is if you are not use to drinking vodka, you can get intoxicated very quickly, so pace yourself.  They taste like juice, so they are dangerous that way too.  Also,  I find the hangover for hard alcohol drinks to be worse than simple beer.   With that said, ENJOY your carb free drink! 

No comments:

Post a Comment